Department Head: Prof. Halina Woś, MD. Ph.D.
Head Nurse: Registered nurse Irena Strugacz, MA
Secretary’s office of the Department: (32) 207 17 00
Number of beds: 12
The tasks of the Department consist in comprehensive diagnostics and treatment of allergic and pulmonary diseases, including:
- bronchial asthma
- allergic skin conditions (atopic dermatitis, urticaria, etc.)
- allergic upper airway diseases
- diseases connected with the mechanism of anaphylaxis
- specific immunotherapy for children with strong allergy
- lower airway inflammatory diseases
- complications of the lower airway inflammatory processes (drainage, pneumothorax)
- managing patients with opportunistic infestions and immunodeficiencies
- chronic inflammatory and degenerative processes in the airways
Due to the fact that the Department verifies diagnosed cystic fibrosis in patients who have undergone newborn screening test, it also provides comprehensive diagnostics and treatment of such patients.
The Department and Cystic Fibrosis Treatment Clinic provide antibiotic inhalation therapy to treat and prevent pulmonary infections caused by Pseudomonas aeruginosa. The Department of Pediatrics also offers comprehensive treatment and intravenous enzyme therapy for patients with inborn errors of metabolism.