Acting Department Head: Tomasz Koszutski, MD. Ph.D.
Head Nurse: Katarzyna Kozłowska, MA
Secretary’s office of the Department: (32) 207 17 50, 7.30 – 14.30
Number of beds: 39
Pediatric Surgery Outpatient Clinic is open from Monday to Friday, on weekdays.
Wojciech Madziara MD. Ph.D. – specialist in pediatric surgery and oncologic surgery
Dariusz Basek MD. Ph.D. – specialist in pediatric surgery
Grażyna Wojtynek MD. Ph.D. – specialist in pediatric surgery
Katarzyna Bryka-Owczarek MD. Ph.D. – specialist in pediatric surgery
Grzegorz Kudela MD. Ph.D. – specialist in pediatric surgery, specialist in pediatric urology
Agnieszka Pastuszka MD. Ph.D. – specialist in pediatric surgery, specialist in pediatric urology
Joanna Kowalik MD. Ph.D. – specialist in pediatric surgery
Andrzej Bulandra MD. Ph.D. – specialist in pediatric surgery
Wojciech Utrata MD – specialist in pediatric surgery, specialist in pediatric urology
Mirosław Mikosiński MD – specialist in pediatric surgery, specialist in pediatric urology
Bożena Jaklik MD – specialist in plastic surgery
Anna Walęza – Widuch MD
Klaudia Korecka MD
Marta Bunarowska MD
Grzegorz Swalarz MD
Anna Stołtny MD
Mateusz Porębski MD
Scope of activity:
The Clinic provides comprehensive surgical treatment for children aged 0 to 18, in particular in the following areas:
- Neonatal surgery – one of two institution of this type in the Silesian Region (the infants are admitted to the Department of Neonatal Intensive Care and Pathology and they are surgically treated in a special operating room situated in this Department).
- Foetal surgery – surgery of myelomeningocele in fetus performed in cooperation with Klinika Ginekologii i Położnictwa [Gynecology and Obstetrics Clinic] in Bytom.
- Abdominal cavity surgery – full range.
- Cardiothoracic surgery – a large number of surgeries of congenital chest deformities
- Pediatric urology – full range, including endoscopic treatment of urolithiasis and unique surgeries of corporal and sexual disorders.
- Oncologic surgery – all surgical procedures in the scope of benign and malignant neoplasms of soft tissues and bones performed in cooperation with the Department of Pediatric Oncology and Hematology of the Clinic of Pediatrics.
- Plastic surgery – all necessary surgeries, mainly chilognathopalatoschisis.
- Vascular surgery – all scheduled and emergency surgeries performed in cooperation with a consultant, specialist in vascular surgery; the Clinic serves as a reference centre for the Silesian region.
- Injury treatment – including multi-organ injuries and burns in children in cooperation with the Department of Intensive Care and Department of Orthopaedics.
- The Department provides Accident and Emergency services on a daily basis
The doctors treat the patients on an outpatient basis in the Surgery Outpatient Clinic, Urology Outpatient Clinic and Oncologic Surgery Outpatient Clinic.
We offer comprehensive medical care for children suffering from neurogenic bladder dysfunction.
Together with ‘the ‘SPINA” Foundation we have opened the Urotherapy Laboratory.
- Within the framework of the Medical University of Silesia:
Education of the 5th year students of the Faculty of Medicine and students pursuing English-language program in the field of pediatric surgery. Education of the 3rd year students of the Faculty of Medicine in the field of introduction to oncology and of the 4th year students in the field of oncology. “Electives” – elective classes for students pursuing English-language program.
- Within the framework of the postgraduate education:
Placements for house officers from the Silesian Province specializing in pediatric surgery. Placements for medical doctors specializing in general surgery, pediatrics, neonatology, cardiac surgery, urology and other fields.
We are the only centre in the Silesian Region which performs surgeries of chilognathopalatoschisis, We were the first centre in Poland to apply a new funnel chest surgery method. So far we have conduced over 500 procedures of this type. We are the only institution in Poland which in cooperation with a team from the Gynecology and Obstetrics Clinic in Bytom conducts fetal surgeries of prenatally diagnosed myelomeningocele (over 60 cases). We also perform unique surgeries of corporal and sexual disorders in children. We increase the number of surgeries performed with laparoscopic or thoracoscopic techniques on a month to month basis.
Cooperation with other centres:
In 2012 we established cooperation with Klinika Chirurgii Naczyń [Vascular Surgery Clinic] in Katowice – Ochojec. With the support of a consultant – vascular surgeon the Upper Silesian Child Health Centre provides treatment for all children from the Silesian region who may require a vascular surgery on an elective or emergency basis. We also develop foreign contacts. We have operated on children in Lviv on numerous occasions and doctors from Ukraine attend trainings organized by the Upper Silesian Child Health Centre on a regular basis.
We also cooperate with the Pediatric Surgery Clinic in Richmond (USA).
Recently we have managed to establish contacts and exchange experience with the Centre of Fetal Therapy in Giessen (Germany).
- Professor Janusz Bohosiewicz MD. Ph.D.:
Provincial Consultant for Pediatric Surgery, Member of the General Board of the Polish Association of Pediatric Surgeons, Member of the Pediatric Surgery State Examination Board, Member of the Accreditation Committee of the Centre of Postgraduate Medical Education.
- Tomasz Koszutski:
Provincial Consultant for Pediatric Urology, President of the Silesian Branch of the Polish Association of Pediatric Surgeons, Member of the Board of the Polish Association of Pediatric Urology, Member of the Pediatric Urology State Examination Board.